The Doctoral Program / PhD in Rural Management Program is designed to prepare students for professional leadership in the field of Rural Management. The objective of the PhD Program is to facilitate research entrepreneurial skills and orientation of Doctoral scholars. It is designed to promote the culture of research entrepreneurship wherein researchers are encouraged to explore themselves, ask questions, actively seek peers’ feedback, build conviction in their ideas, share their ideas with peers in specific and society in general.
At a broader level the PhD Program aims at contributing towards XUB’s Endeavour towards this building sustainable communities, managing development projects, building livelihoods, development entrepreneurships and building value chainsby understanding those issues which are fundamental to the research enquiry, and have a linkage with organizations, institutions, economy, society, and environment.
Duration of the Ph D Program
The approximate duration to complete the Program is 4 to 7 years. The first year of the Program will be spent for course work, and the remaining years for completing subsequent steps leading to the doctoral thesis. The maximum duration allowed to complete the Ph.D is 7 years.
Course work and Registration
After the successful completion of course-work and related pre-decided steps such as a number of review seminars, the student is supposed to give a thesis topic registration seminar. After the successful completion of this seminar, the student’s PhD topic will be registered with Xavier University, Bhubaneswar (XUB).
Ph D Level Courses
- Philosophy of Science,
- Exploratory Research Methodology,
- Experimental Research Methodology,
- Descriptive Research Methodology,
- Quantitative Research Methods,
- Qualitative Research Methods,
- SPSS Lab,
- Modeling with Excel,
- Teaching Lab,
- Research Communication,
- Area Specific Seminar.
Broad areas of Ph D specialization at XSRM
- Rural Marketing,
- Rural and Inclusive Finance,
- Rural Technologies and Operations,
- Developmental Policy and Strategy,
- ICT for Development and E-Governance,
- Development Programme Management,
- Sustainable Livelihoods,
- Organization Theory and Institutional Development,
- Gender and Equity,
- Decentralized Governance.
a) Officially Sponsored Candidates / Self Sponsored Candidates
In case the organization supports the student’s Ph.D. or the students decide to sponsor themselves, the fees for this four year Program will be as follows:
b)Partially Sponsored Candidates (Partial Scholarship Category)
- Rupees three lakhs in the first year; and
- Rupees one lakh each in the second, third, and fourth year, respectively.
In this category of candidates (If found suitable), the applicable fees for the four years will be:
c) Full Scholarship category
- Rupees one lakh fifty thousand in the first year; and
- Rupees fifty thousand each in the second, third, and fourth year, respectively.
In case of deserving full-time student, the academic fee will be waived.
The students will be provided accommodation on campus. The residential expenses will have to be paid by the students separately as per the prevalent rate (current rate is INR 24000/- per year, double seated), and mess expenses as per actual. Students can also choose to stay off-campus.